Friday, November 21, 2008

No Gisborne


The dow fell another 400-odd points today.



Today Bryce and I had a serious talk about Gisborne. While I'm all for it, Bryce pointed out that there's not much for him to do there while I'm at work. Apparently there's no real hiking spots or places to go rock climbing around there. Bryce is a lot different than me-- I would be perfectly content spending my days snorkeling, sailing, laying on the beach, reading, and cooking. He definitely wants to participate in some of the adventure sports that New Zealand is famous for. I get that. I thought that he was going to say no to Gisborne because it's so far away from the nearest ski resort. In actuality though, he kept an open mind about the snowboarding issue (which was a big one), but couldn't find anything else for him to do that would replace snowboarding.

Ooh I should've reminded him that he likes to run! You can run anywhere!! ;-)

Another good point against Gisborne is that it's really out of the way; it would take forever for us to drive anywhere cool on islands-- every trip would require an overnighter. We did decide that when we go to NZ (we are going no matter what! Even if it's for a 3 month vacation or something), we are stopping by Gisborne. Gisborne (see Anaura Bay below!!!) looks fabulous.

I'll confess that I'm getting so nervous about leaving our good jobs that it's almost a relief to say no to Gisborne. With the state of this economy, I don't mind waiting for the perfect job opening in NZ. We decided that pretty much any big city (except for chilly Dunedin) would work fine for us.

No comments: