Friday, June 18, 2010

Say what?

Well, Grandma wrote me an e-mail today saying that the Dutch expression she says, "Is something like" "Oh how my honda taka." Huh. I just have a strong feeling that she doesn't say, "My hand itches," whenever she's frustrated. Stay tuned on that little mystery, still working to decipher that one.

Bryce and I met our American friend at Regional Wine & Spirits today for a free (!) beer tasting. Yum. We went off to Scopa for some pizza-- where I tried to be devious and order a feijoa vodka drink for my friend. She wasn't having it so I had to drink it-- that's karma for you.

We walked to the Downstage Theatre to watch Le Sud, a cute play about what would happen if the French had really settled the South Island. The first 5-10 minutes of the play was entirely in French, which freaked us out at first... when will the French end?? This is a French play?? But luckily the English started up so I could understand what was going on. I could understand about 1% of it with the gestures and such-- I was actually surprised I could understand that much.

There were a lot of jabs towards sexuality and ethnicity that I was pretty surprised about; in a phone call to President Obama, one actor said, "Yo yo what's up n---? How's the ho and the chillin?" It was a little bit of a shock for me to have a non-African American use the n-word in public, I had to review the statement over in my mind to make sure that I heard correctly. What with the non-politically correct speech and the references to kiwi culture, I definitely had a kiwi experience for the night. There were tons of jokes that definitely went over our heads.

No comments: