Thursday, June 17, 2010

Chicken Enchilladas

I baked the cinnamon rolls this morning that I had made up yesterday and brought them to work. Everyone seemed to like them, but I noticed that everyone chose to wait until morning tea to try one; they were too sweet to eat as a breakfast. huh. Now that I think of it, I eat a lot of dessert-y things for breakfast (cinnamon rolls, pumpkin bread). Don't know if that's an American thing or just something that I learned from my family. There is a perception of America (that is probably true) that American portions are really big-- at a pizza place they serve "regular" sized and "New York" (large) sized pizzas.

The treadmills at the gym measure your speed in km's (of course). (Kilometer's are called "k's" for short.) I keep forgetting the conversion factor for k's to miles, so on the treadmill today I just sorta ran as fast as I wanted. I usually run 5.2 mph on the treadmill, and today I was at 9.2 k's and feeling a little winded. I had to knock it down to 8.5 after a while. Talking with the math-whiz husband afterwards, he calculated that I was running 5.7 mph until knocking it down to my more normal 5.3 mph. Huh-- pretty cool I accidentally got myself to run faster than normal.

Bryce was pretty proud of himself when we met at the train station/gym-- he had found corn tortilla mix (you can't find corn tortillas at the store yet, although I'm sure they're on their way shortly. There's pre-packed enchillada sauce sold with corn tortillas already, and Ole El Paso flour tortillas are available too). Bryce made the corn tortillas (which he rolled out with a full bottle of wine-- we don't have a rolling pin). We made Jessica Alba enchiladas. We can't find enchilada sauce, green sauce, or Anaheim chillis to make green sauce from scratch, so we made do with a can of pureed tomatoes with various spices added in (chilli powder, habanero sauce, jalopeno juice, some onions and garlic). They turned out wonderful-- a good culmination of about 2-3 hours of effort.

No comments: