Saturday, June 12, 2010

Hair Salon

Every time I get my hair cut I go to a different salon. I really miss the girl who cut my hair in Juanita; I would just show up and let her do what she liked and I would always love the results; it would never be the same. In pursuit of the perfect NZ haircut I've been to 3 different salons now, all recommended by different colleagues. Today's hair salon was super trendy and cool. There was a huge pink divan in the center of the salon that I was told was "art, not furniture." Next to the sofa were giant (5') tubes of mascara, eyeliner, and concealer.


The stylist did something that I've noticed at my other hair cuts: sit down while cutting hair. It struck me as funny that I am a little contemptuous of this; I consider it lazy to sit down while cutting hair although I'm sure their poor feet are tired and it doesn't really matter if they're sitting or not. It's just another cultural taboo I've unconsciously taken with me.

The hair cut was fine but I'm looking forward to the next salon: an "organic" hair salon :-)

No comments: