Monday, May 24, 2010

Basic Pumpkin Soup

Pumpkins were selling at New World Supermarket for only $4.99 this week. They are so tasty and nutritious, it's amazing that I can buy a huge ol pumpkin and feed us for a week on it. The problem with buying a ginormous pumpkin is that there's a lot of prep work involved-- a couple hours to cut, peel, roast, and mash. A nice strong guy is usually needed to make the initial slices into the pumpkin. I wish I had an axe. Or a jig-saw.

I make pumpkin bread, pumpkin pie, pumpkin lasagna, and pumpkin soup all week with my store of roasted, mashed pumpkin sitting in the fridge. Tonight was a combination of these foods: soup for appetizer, lasagna for dinner, and pie for dessert. Bryce has requested a moratorium on pumpkin for awhile.

Here's a great recipe for pumpkin soup:
3 cups roasted and mashed pumpkin (Or, 1 big can of pureed pumpkin, I think that's 30 oz).
1 cup chicken stock, vegetable broth, or hot water
1 cup milk or cream
1 teaspoon cinnamon
salt and pepper to taste (I put in about 1/2 - 1 tsp of each in).

If you have a blender, put everything in and puree.
If you don't have a blender, it's ok if you whisk it all together on the stove.

Sprinkle with parsley to serve.



No comments: