Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Sailing and Ice Cream

Well today showed me that I wasn't an idiot afterall for staying in NZ while my hubs ski bums around the West Coast. It was social sailing today. About 5 hours of fun. We sailed a double handed dinghy, a 420-- I took turns crewing and skippering. My boat mate was a little nervous about jybing and I couldn't figure out why; I had never ever worried about jybing before. Well, naturally on my first jyb the boat tipped over. It didn't just tip over, it turtled! Agh! At least Evans Bay, where we were sailing, is deep enough that the mast didn't get stuck at the bottom like it used to in Garbage Bay (Union Bay) at U of WA.


With two other boats, we sailed to nearby Oriental Parade for gelato.


We parked right up on the sand.


We took a leisurely sail back to Evans Bay. I've learned that when it's Sailing Day, you keep the whole day open for the sail, you never know how long you'll be out and there's usually beers at the yacht club afterwards.

No comments: