Thursday, October 6, 2011

Tinsel- advanced vocabulary education

Learning some advanced vocabulary, working on my PhD in Kiwi.

My friend Anna and I are organizing the "Christmas-do" for our office (the holiday party, which is completely and totally okay to call a "Christmas" party, even though we work for a government agency for a country of heaps of atheists and agnostics.) But I digress.

Anna was discussing decorating the function room of the Indian restaurant we'll be having the party in, and saying she "might put some tinsel on the back of everyone's chair." At this point I felt the familiar-- hey, that doesn't add up. hmm. Might "tinsel" be used differently here? I had to make my Julie Confused face, say, "um, i don't know if that's the best idea, maybe we think tinsel is something different?" "why?" "Oh, you know, my idea of tinsel--- that would sorta stick to people's backs." "Huh. Well tinsel is silvery and kinda thready." "Huh, that's my 'tinsel' too. Okay, maybe we do think it is the same thing. ha ha never mind."

Anna sent me an e-mail later with a picture labelled "tinsel" which helped really clarify everything:

Ohhhhh.
I showed her a picture of "American" tinsel (which was surprisingly difficult to google image btw)-- she said she had never really used that before.

No comments: