Saturday, October 1, 2011

Mountain Biking

We went mountain biking early this morning, finally. Bryce has been itching to go for awhile. I went despite the fact that I had only ridden a bike once in the last 10 years, and 10 years ago when I did go mountain biking on Crystal Mt I got a sweet cut on my knee that I still have a scar for.

Now I can see why mountain biking could be fun. I could see that even through the rather intense fear I had on the twisty, dippy, narrow single track with a steep drop off. Some parts were wider and flatter and I could see how this could be fun exercise. But mostly during the one hour (rated 1/2 hour) ride, all I was trying to do was to get through it. The route was circular and you can't reverse directions so once you're on it you just have to keep going. Walking my bike was definitely an option I took up but it was so freakin slow and having the dad with the little girl on the attached hitch-like bike rattle past me was a little embarrassing. That little girl is going to be the biggest adrenaline junky. She was about 4 years old and went down the trail on the bike behind her dad going, whoa whoa hoa wo wo wo! Sigh! Big smile.

Here's a picture of a nice tame section of trail. The scary parts of the trail were too scary to think about stopping to take pictures. (That is I was scared I would fall off my bike if I unfurled my fingers from the handlebars).

Got some bruises and a sore butt but actually I can imagine going back mountain biking, maybe on the nice, wide, rail trail up north in Upper Hutt.

No comments: