Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Taking a step back

New Zealand is a thoroughly modern, first-world country. If you take a short trip here, the only differences you'll really notice between here and the Pacific Northwest are the accents, driving on the left hand side of the road, and the mysterious absence of ketchup when served fries. There are definitely some other things about New Zealand that are not like home.

Things I took for granted in the States:
(Besides the obvious: dropping in on family whenever I felt like it, and Azteca).
  • relatively inexpensive, good quality, fashionable clothing
  • domestic postage (they have that here of course, but there's really no reason to mail anyone here).
  • flat rate internet
  • the ability to take a relatively short road trip (i.e., of 1-3 days) to somewhere entirely new (I can't believe, now, that I rarely went to Whistler and have yet to see Crater Lake, Yosemite, or Yellowstone)
  • inexpensive make-up
  • Gene Juarez. Oh Gene Juarez, I miss you so. I could really trust you.
  • Mold-free house.
Still, if I move back to the States I will really, really miss:
  • My job - where I get almost complete autonomy and for the first time have helped to actually help effect some change in children.
  • Paying people back online with only their bank account number.
  • BYO restaurants.
  • Turkish, Cambodian, Malaysian food. I will try and find this in the States.
  • The views. Of course.
  • Friendly airlines and nice people at airline security.
  • Being away from the scary Tea Party nonsense.
  • The common-sense political attitude of the kiwis.
  • The international feeling of everyone I meet-- that travelling abroad is a normal part of life.
  • Super friendly expats and kiwis who are always willing to hang out and have fun.

No comments: