Monday, July 19, 2010

Food tidbits

We're in a little bit of a food rut. I'm trying to bust out of it and buy new and interesting things:

Berry Flavoured Porridge (yuck)

Exotic yogurt (yum)

I HIGHLY suggest the vanilla and hazelnut yogurt should you ever come across it.

I tried some lemon cookies that looked cheap but ok-- in fact they were salty. (Not the best for dipping in tea).

Chicken flavoured crackers:


One of my most favourite finds is Kiwi Habanero Sauce-- a fruity, spicy concoction that our friend Emma introduced to us:

I found out from the Irish and British girls we skiied with last that NZ has awful tea, and that Bell tea was the only tea they'd drink. (The English girl also mentioned that American restaurants did not know how to serve tea, that you don't serve tea by giving a customer a pot of hot water and a tea bag; you put the teabag in the teacup and pour the water over the bag and then present the cup to the customer).

Kiwis (known as kiwifruit here), are incredibly cheap; I can get a kilo for $1.79, which works out to about 10 cents US per kiwi. They are delicious and I try to eat as much as I can, because they were always my favourite fruit.

Most of our produce comes from Australia; NZ oranges are pretty tasteless and some recipes actually call for an Australian or American orange, as opposed to a New Zealand one.

No comments: