Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Oh, Really?

Julie says I should write a blog... So I'm writing.
Originally this was going to be the story of our adventures, and trials and tribulations of moving to New Zealand. Not so much a blog as just a history. However it's impossible to tell a story without characters, and a good story has plot and character development. One could document that development through actions, but I'm more a fan of the first person, so I'll go ahead and say I'll continue the trend of sharing my thoughts.
In the last two days I've successfully sold both Julie's and my cars. Anyone that knows us, knows we were pretty willing part with our cars. While both had served us well, they were never quite ours. We both received them as part of hand-me-downs. Julie loved her V6 and options, and I loved the subie's utility which helped facilitate my outdoors resurgence. However the line of emotion ended there. They were good, practical cars.
I was thinking about how practical we were. I have just a bit of materialism, and it seems it bites me most when it comes to automobiles. I started like cars at 14 and just got fascinated by them. I love shiny, loud, faster, good handling, you name it. Yet as both Julie and I have been succeeding at work I'd resisted buying myself a new car, as did she. I've noticed over the past few year of working with more of my peers that I drove one of the roughest and oldest car. Most drove something at least made in the 00's and many bought their car new sometime after college. My friends and even most my family seem to have all upgraded in the last few years. I'd be lieing if I claimed I was never jealous. I've always wondered if I was being too miserly or others were too reckless with their spending. I've come to peace with defining it as a sense of priorities. It'd be unfair to judge others solely one purchase, and my small level of skill with a wrench has allowed me a bit more 'freedom' in my choice of automobiles. So they prioritized peace of mind and a bit of flash. I've prioritized this crazy adventure that starts in only 2 days.
Now both of our cars are sold, both to girls getting their first cars. It's kinda cool and funny in it's own way. I guess it's not too surprising it's not for people our own age. It seems like our cars don't fit 20-30 somethings. Both girls seem very driven and practical. I hope they have their own adventures too.
But enough waxing philosophical about cars.
We fly out in roughly 50 hours, and by and large we're ready. I'm relaxed in someways but I'm still get fits of nerves. The current situation of sold cars and a job for Julie was exactly the plan from the get go. It took some work on both of our parts, but 18 months after we first started talking about it, we're here.

No comments: