Thursday, January 26, 2012

jaywalking kiwis

I think I figured out why kiwis don't make a huge effort to use the cross walk when crossing the street. I think they think that by using a crosswalk, that is inconveniencing traffic by making them stop, and that just isn't polite. So they'll wait until one lane is clear, walk to the center line, and then stand there in the middle of the road, (sometimes holding their child's hand or pushing a stroller), and wait until the next lane is clear to run across.

I'm in their miiiiinds.

___________________

This whole issue of jaywalking is a big one for me. Wellington is dealing with many pedestrian injuries/deaths lately and are grasping at straws trying to figure out what to do about it. They've lowered the speed limit to 30 kms (That is 18mph people!) They have started a small advertizing campaign about safe crossing. They considered erecting barriers along the footpath, but data from Europe show that pedestrians jump over those barriers, making crossing in front of cars even more dangerous. Next, the city is hiring a psychologist to help relate to the pedestrians.

Police in Wellington do not ticket jaywalkers.

I've mentioned to acquaintances that giving out jaywalking tickets would solve the problem. I've received various responses:


There is something seriously wacky going on with the Wellington pedestrian for sure. I've made it my personal mission to honk some sense into any idiot who strays across my path when I have a green light. Yeah I see your snotty look you brat. But now you're deaf. ha ha!

No comments: